Umalusi is responsible for the quality assurance of assessment in the Grade 12-year and issues the National Senior Certificate to successful candidates.
The Umalusi Council sets and monitors standards for general and further education and training in South Africa
The Council is tasked with the development and management of a sub-framework of qualifications for general and further education and training and for the attendant quality assurance.
Umalusi is currently responsible for the certification of the following qualifications:
- Senior Certificate amended (SCa) – continues as a revised qualification for adults
- National Senior Certificate (NSC)
- National Technical Certificate (N3)
- National Certificate Vocational (NCV)
Adult Learning Centers:
- General Education and Training Certificate: Adults (GETC)
In order to issue learners with certificates that are credible, Umalusi:
- Develops and evaluates qualifications and curricula to ensure that they are of the expected standard;
- Moderates assessment to ensure that it is fair, valid and reliable;
- Accredits providers of education and training, and assessment;
- Conducts research to ensure educational quality;
- Verifies the authenticity of certificates